LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- "Safe Streets" is heading to the committee in the Valley and everyone is jumping on and lending their support. If it passes, it "would give greater power to local jurisdictions to decide what is safe."
- There was a rather sophisticated jewelry heist during the May Day Parade downtown on Friday afternoon. Two thieves snuck into a jewelry store through a vacant adjoining space and stole over $500,000 worth of jewelry.
- Do you have a "green" blog and want to share it with other environmental folk? Stop lurking around and post it on Green LA Girl's site.
- Two Police cars crashed today while chasing a car jacking suspect. Fortunately, no one was injured.
- UCLA just got hit yesterday with $31,000 in fines for 3 safety violations in a lab mishap that left one woman dead.
- Prop 8: The Musical won a Webby Award today for the "Best Comedy: Short or Individual Episode" category. However, Gawker and our very own SFist are calling bollocks.
- Speaking of awards, the James Beard Awards for the restaurant/food industry were announced today, too. As Eater LA says, "LA Pretty Much a No-Show."
- Now you can follow elections run by the County Registrar-Recorder on Twitter. Get ready for May 19th!!