This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- The grand jury handed down indictments against two animal rights activists who targeted UCLA researchers and the POM juice company on charges of conspiracy, stalking and other crimes.
- 300 guns were traded in for gift cards in Hawaiian Gardens over the weekend, in a Sheriff-sponsored event aimed at reducing gun violence.
- MIss California says she's against gay marriage, but her sister is for it.
- LACMA's Blog has a Q&A up with John Bowsher, Director of Special Installations at the museum, and he talks about his job, and upcoming installations.
- The President of the UC expressed his gratitude for the $268 million in federal stimulus funds that have just been released to help the system of universities.
- Blogdowntown has their eye on this Sunday's 20th annual Fiesta Broadway.
- It's not open in time for today's 420 "celebration" but Curbed LA steers readers to news from the Atwater Village Newbie, who reports a vacant spot in the area is going to open as a medical marijuana pharmacy.
- They've been chewing on this for a couple of days now over at Chowhound, and have come up with a pretty good list of "old school" "red booth" LA restaurants. Did your favorite get a nod?
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.