LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- An Orange County teenager and her boyfriend have been arrested for the murder of the girl's mother.
- The parents of the man accused of killing Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two others in a horrific car accident last week say their son is an alcoholic, but "not a monster."
- LA-based blogger Mark Horvath (of Hardly Normal) visited a homeless shelter in San Luis Obispo, and shared the story on Whrrl.
- Mercedes Marquez, the City of LA's housing department's general manager since 2004, has been appointed Assistant Secretary for Community Planning and Development in the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- If you're looking to play resident tourist (staycation, anyone?) how about Venice Beach? Yo! Venice! passes on a Travel Channel video about the area's history, including the canals.
- Rockers Don Henley and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' guitarist Mike Campbell have filed suit against Assemblyman Chuck DeVore (R-Irvine) for his use of their song "Boys of Summer" in a recent campaign video.
- In the "Age of Oversharing," LA Times columnist Meghan Daum wonders if only twits Tweet.
- And we think we have an answer for Daum, btw. You see, LAist Tweets, and we're at Coachella and the Grand Prix this weekend, so if you're into twits...or tweets...or...well, anyhow. You know.