Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- The LAPD held a memorial ceremony today for David Lee Briggs, the man who ran a shoeshine stand at police headquarters for 21 years.
- Speaking of the LAPD, Chief Bratton is trying to put out the fire caused by their use of water bottles.
- One of the victims of this weekend's small plane crash out of Corona was former child actor Karen Lynne Oberdiear
- While a study found kids whose schools are near fast food joints might be at risk to be more obese, another study found that poor girls are more likely to be bulimic
- Of course, you have to be rich to eat at Disneyland, and richer still when they jack the dining prices up during peak visiting months.
- Maybe you spend your disposable income shopping... but it seems like not enough people are hitting small boutiques these days.
- Final arguments began today in the retrial of Phil Spector, during which the Assistant District Attorney used a Powerpoint slideshow to make a dramatic point about the nature of the case.
- Guy Flemming Trail in Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, outside of San Diego, is this week's California Parks Foundation 40 favorite state park trails podcast.
- Did you know today is the first ever official Chabad Day in California?
- And, lastly...stupid celebrity-social networking gossip story of the day, courtesy Defamer: "Jennifer Aniston Dumps John Mayer Over Twitter Addiction."