LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- The LAPD held a memorial ceremony today for David Lee Briggs, the man who ran a shoeshine stand at police headquarters for 21 years.
- Speaking of the LAPD, Chief Bratton is trying to put out the fire caused by their use of water bottles.
- One of the victims of this weekend's small plane crash out of Corona was former child actor Karen Lynne Oberdiear
- While a study found kids whose schools are near fast food joints might be at risk to be more obese, another study found that poor girls are more likely to be bulimic
- Of course, you have to be rich to eat at Disneyland, and richer still when they jack the dining prices up during peak visiting months.
- Maybe you spend your disposable income shopping... but it seems like not enough people are hitting small boutiques these days.
- Final arguments began today in the retrial of Phil Spector, during which the Assistant District Attorney used a Powerpoint slideshow to make a dramatic point about the nature of the case.
- Guy Flemming Trail in Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, outside of San Diego, is this week's California Parks Foundation 40 favorite state park trails podcast.
- Did you know today is the first ever official Chabad Day in California?
- And, lastly...stupid celebrity-social networking gossip story of the day, courtesy Defamer: "Jennifer Aniston Dumps John Mayer Over Twitter Addiction."