Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- The FBI boarded a Princess Cruise line ship in San Pedro this morning to investigate the allegation a crew member sexually assaulted a passenger on board during the boat's 2-week Panama Canal voyage.
- Need another reason why smoking is bad for you? How about when you suffer burns on 90% of your body when your clothes catch on fire?
- Bad news (maybe) for local racing fans: The company that runs the Santa Anita racetrack has filed for bankruptcy.
- They're baaaaaaa-aaack! Goats are once again employed to chew up terrain downtown.
- The Long Beach Police Department is using "effective detective" strategies to counter the current spike in crime in the area.
- Is Orange County no longer the place where Republicans go to die? Newsweek looks at the changing demographics. (h/t CurbedLA)
- Has the "old media" failed Los Angeles? Joseph Mailander thinks so.
- The New Yorker's Talk of the Town eavesdropped on the chit chat at architect Frank Gehry's recent 80th birthday bash here in Los Angeles.
- It's probably older than most of you kids, but the compact disc turned 30 today. Of course, there are fewer and fewer places where you can buy the old things around town lately than in its heyday...