LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Anyone know why there were dead chickens on the sidewalk in Silver Lake? The LA Neighborhood Clean Up Project folks happened upon them and can't figure out where they came from.
- Police in Burbank are trying to piece together if it was suicide or an accident when a Metrolink train hit and killed a 39-year-old woman this weekend.
- Parents of kids enrolled in most LAUSD schools are going to get report cards in the mail soon--but not for their kids, for the schools themselves.
- ...but there won't be much going on in school if the United Teachers of Los Angeles call for a strike or boycott, if conditions involving their pay and benefits aren't met.
- Guess who's taking a turn at radio hosting? It's City Councilman (and newlywed) Eric Garcetti, who can be heard tomorrow at 2:30 to 3 pm on KCRW's "The Politics of Culture."
- It costs $100-$200k to build a float for the Rose Parade, which is why some organizations and communities might opt out of the event come next year.
- Get out your piggy banks, tree huggers and hybrid enthusiasts; Toyota unveiled its third generation Prius for 2010. 50 mpg and a solar roof!
- Another reason to be smug about our SoCal winters? Try when early predictions for the weather in Washington DC on Obama's inauguration day are calling for a snowstorm and more of the unusual cold they've been experiencing. Brrrr!