This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Not everybody's rejoicing Obama's pick of Leon Panetta to head the CIA; California Senator Dianne Feinstein--who is about to become the chair of the Intelligence Committee--has gone on record as opposing the selection.
- Motorists are seeing another jump at the pump--the 7th consecutive day of increases in the price of a gallon of gas in LA and Orange counties.
- The NFL in the LA region? City of Industry wants to build a stadium to host a team, but neighboring City of Walnut leads the opposition.
- Authorities are seeking the public's help in determining who shot a 45-year-old Northridge man over the weekend near a Culver City construction site.
- The International Bird Rescue Research Center in San Pedro is dealing with an increase in sick pelicans coming ashore; they treated 40 in December, and a staggering 25 just in the past 5 days.
- Some road closures to note if you're headed San Pedro way, via the Daily Breeze: "About 2 miles of the Terminal Island (47) Freeway in San Pedro, including the Vincent Thomas Bridge, will be closed in both directions for four nights beginning tonight. State Route 47 will be closed between Ocean and Harbor boulevards from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. [and] the Harbor Boulevard onramp to eastbound SR 47 will be closed on those nights from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m."
- Overnight in Long Beach: "Watch out for that treeeeeeeeee!" Three cars--but no people--were hurt.
- Alfred Shaheen, the man largely considered responsible for making the Hawaiian shirt a must-have wardrobe item for so many, died December 22 in Torrance.
- Got an iron stomach and a tight wallet? Head down to the two OC locations of the Old Spaghetti Factory for their 40th anniversary special tomorrow night: $3 dinner.