LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- To the south of us, outside San Diego, a 42-year-old parolee has been arrested for the rape of an unconscious woman and violating his parole.
- The city of Anaheim has chosen US Men's Volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon to ride on their Rose Parade float this year. The team moved to Anaheim in '06 and McCutcheon led them to Olympic gold in Beijing this summer, despite the trauma of his wife's parents being attacked while touring the area.
- Local ABC affiliate KABC7 is mourning the loss of their first helicopter reporter. Captain Ron Bodholt died this weekend after a long illness. He was 63.
- Our four-legged friends feel the chill in their bones when the temps dip overnight. Help out by donating a blanket to help keep a homeless animal warm this winter.
- The Coast Guard intercepted a ship carrying two Nigerian stowaways bound for Los Angeles over the weekend.
- It's a good question for anyone considering a career change with a family history of heart problems: "Can being California's accountant give you a heart attack?"
- We like things "Sticky and Sweet" apparently; the LA Times names Madonna's tour the top in sales for 2008. The Material Girl played Dodger Stadium back in November.
- Attention teenagers in Los Angeles (and/or your parents): Turns out those "virginity pledges" that are all the rage aren't so effective after all.