Extra, Extra: Up in the Sky
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- A 16-year-old high school football star from Sun Valley was shot to death behind the Taco Bell near Laurel Canyon and Roscoe in North Hollywood. Edward Satterstrom, who was on foot when he was confronted by a gunman, was a student at Polytechnic High with hopes of attending USC.
- Laid-off state workers gathered outside the Governor's home today to protest the budget-related job losses by serving him with a symbolic "pink slip."
- Creepy alert: A 50-year-old Altadena man is a suspect for the murder of his live-in 19-year-old girlfriend, who died from either a gunshot or being pushed out a window, or both.
- Thanks to thieves who made off with thousands of dollars worth of construction supplies, the San Fernando-Santa Clarita branch of Habit for Humanity will have to raise $10k to replace the loss so they can continue in their good work building homes for low-income families.
- Yesterday we looked at the history of ticket prices to get into Disneyland; today we're mourning the loss of Harriet Burns, the woman who designed Sleeping Beauty's Castle at the theme park, who died July 25th at the age of 79.
- Chudney Ross, the 38-year-old daughter of singing legend Diana Ross, was injured late yesterday afternoon in a traffic accident in Malibu.
- 36-year-old actress Christina Applegate has revealed she has been recently diagnosed with an early form of breast cancer. According to her publicist she is in treatment and the cancer is non-life threatening.
- Get out your binoculars or telescope and take at look at the sky around dusk tonight to see 4 planets aligned.