This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Long Road Ahead
- More developments in the IndyMac banking saga, as the FBI is now pursuing allegations of fraud perpetrated by the company, and not the employees specifically.
- An autopsy has been scheduled in the case of popular UC Riverside English professor Lindon Barrett. The 46-year-old's badly decomposed body was found early Sunday in his Long Beach home.
- One piece of a troubling puzzle has been recovered in the case of the man who slayed his girlfriend with a sword in front of her 4 children then took off--the suspect's van was recovered yesterday, but the Lancaster swordsman/murder suspect remains at large.
- Surf's Up, Dudes... The U.S. Open of Surfing begins Friday in Orange County, and locals are expected to rock the motion.
- The Wet-Nap campaign: Workers at LAX hope to draw attention to the understaffing issue that is causing them to be unable to do things like properly clean airport restrooms by handing passengers individual wipes today.
- Heads up if you plan on heading along the 710 between Long Beach and East Rancho Dominguez--portions of the freeway and offramps will closed from midnight until early morning for repairs. The Press-Telegram has the specifics.
- Sad news for folks who enjoyed the charms of the Sportsmen's Lodge on Ventura Boulevard in Studio City; the 63-year-old establishment will be no more come the new year. A new lease was not in the cards, although the land's new owner may still operate a venture there with the Sportsmen's moniker.
- What really gets Eaters riled up? Just try and take away their mustard pots at a dining institution and see what ensues! Anarchy!