This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: The Second Best Angeleno: Mayor Tony
"Mural on the Surfing Museum in Hunting Beach California," by rink rat via LAist Featured Photos Pool on Flickr
- Mayor Tony, during his anywhere but LA tour, met with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Sunday and handed him a Kobe jersey. "He said his gift reflected that there is no better ambassador for the city of Los Angeles than Kobe Bryant," the AP report said. I'm glad the leader of Los Angeles thinks so highly of himself that he is, at most, second fiddle to a basketball player.
- The mother of a 5-year-old that she allegedly subjected to unbearable torture was arrested Friday night. Her live-in girlfriend was nabbed a day later at her apartment. Police said the women routinely beat the boy, forced him to put his hands on a hot stove, burned his body and genitals with cigarettes and often would not let him eat or drink.
- Speaking of gotcha, though on a much different scale, Tim Russert was remembered this morning during Sunday's Meet the Press. His chair was left empty but a host of political commentators, including our very own Maria Shriver, paid remembrance to the fallen host who unexpectedly succumbed to a heart attack two days ago.
- How are you alleviating the pain at the pump? Are you going to Mexico,like these fine San Diegans, where a tank of unleaded is less than $3? Traitors. Don't they know if we buy Mexican gas, the terrorists win?
- Police are on the lookout for a missing Tennessee women who may have been hiking in Runyon Canyon, reports David Markland.
- Water crisis, water shmrisis. Apparently no one told Gardena about the drought we are in as a hydrant there continues to gush water down the drain.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.