This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Goodness Gracious Great Balls
Photo by kandyd via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Despite a weekend of killings in LA County, FBI statistics show that last year saw a 9 per cent drop in violent crime in Los Angeles overall (although some areas saw a slight increase).
- Sick of the crime? You can always pack up and move to Irvine.
- Good news for the Grand Avenue Project. Today a request made by the developer to delay construction for eight more months was rejected. Prepare to hear the sweet sounds of multi-million dollar construction starting mid-August, Downtowners!
- 400,000 black hollow balls were dumped into the Ivanhoe Reservoir today. No, seriously. Why? Well, not to make it like a McDonald's Playland, but rather to protect the water and to keep the birds out. (Wanna see what it looks like naked?)
- And speaking of strange sightings by the shores of Silver Lake, blogging.la spotted a "rocket car" on the streets there this weekend.
- The answers to questions about just how the Newport-Inglewood fault in the OC does its thing could be found after scientists get up close and personal with the quake-maker by drilling a deep hole right into it.
- Last night's James Beard Awards for greatness in all things foodie saw our fair city get fairly close to shunned. EaterLA has the lowdown.
- Holding out to buy an iPhone for one that's faster and cheaper? Get ready to laugh at those who shelled out more for less just to be the first on the block to have one when you become the second (or third, or, fourth, or fifty-seventh) to get one when the new models are released July 11.
- Like Rilo Kiley? They're playing at the Greek Theatre on Wednesday, June 18 and we're giving a pair of tickets away. Enter here!
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.