This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: There Was An Explosion In The Arts District Today
- Follow LAist on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook
- GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee decided to parody Adele's "Hello" in his latest campaign video. It's… look, it's well, it's something. "Hello from the Caucus night/If Bernie wins, I'm gonna die."
- It turns out your calming Sleepytime Tea has a weird past involving extraterrestrials, eugenics and cults.
- There's a Thai airline that will allow you to buy a seat for your possessed doll.
- Leonardo DiCaprio and Pope Francis hung out the other day to talk about the environment.
- City Council has approved putting up gates to keep drivers off of the L.A. River path in Elysian Valley, which is supposed to only be traversed by cyclists and pedestrians.
- Eater takes a look at Fatburger's history in rap lyrics.
- One Million Moms, a conservative organization of moms who don't like naughtiness in culture, are protesting Olive Garden for airing commercials during Lucifer, a new FOX show about Satan chilling in present-day Los Angeles. We'll be eating our endless breadsticks in Hell, I suppose.
- There an explosion today at a construction site in the Arts District, if you were in the area and wondering what the commotion was all about. No one was hurt.
- Gustavo Dudamel and Youth Orchestra L.A. will be performing during the Super Bowl 50 halftime show, along with Coldplay and Beyoncé.
- People think that this monkey looks like Lord Voldemort.
- A U2 superfan made a plaque at the site of the band's Joshua Tree.
- And now, here is a squirrel diving in the snow.
Snow-diving squirrelSnow-diving squirrel in Estonia.From BBC Ukrainian
Posted by Avantgardens on Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.