This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Some Groundbreaking News
- Staples Center was named one of the best arenas in the nation by Rolling Stone magazine.
- (Ground) breaking news: Vacant land in Sherman Oaks is being turned into new LA River park.
- Disneyland is doing away with special needs passes for theme park-goers
- The LASD announced that 350 pot plants were seized this week from an indoor grow op in La Puente.
- Happy birthday to the Hollywood Sign. The grand dame on the hill turns 90 years young today.
- Burbank residents, beware: A mountain lion was spotted today carrying a dead deer.
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood
@LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.