This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: How It Feels To Be Swallowed By A Hippo
- On being swallowed by a hippo: "It was as if I had suddenly gone blind and deaf"
- Check out this epic view of the Springs Fire (via Reddit)
- Awwww, Echo Park has some baby hawks
- Prince Jackson hit up the Rolling Stones concert with a gal
- Garden Grove police are looking for an escaped mental health patient who is obsessed with Sandy Hook and has made threats against children
- OC Weekly is not the place to go for adult advertisements any longer—for that you need to try the OC Register
- A 14-year-old (bad-ass!) prostitute escaped her abusive pimp and turned him in
- The Forest Service refuses to put up a sign warning people to avoid the deadly Eaton Canyon
- What it's like picking strawberries
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.