This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Greasy Crooks, Teens on Meth, & Derby Day Drinking
- Not-so-slick criminals: A couple of guys were busted trying to steal kitchen grease from a Burbank Carl's Jr.
- Culver City might experience a witty hipster invasion thanks to Tumblr's newly-opened offices there.
- FYI: A UCLA study shows teen girls have a harder time quitting meth than teen boys.
- Curbed maps 10 iconic L.A. buildings up for state landmark consideration.
- Uh oh. One of the "Real Housewives of Orange County" is under fire for calling her Latino fiance a "beaner."
- USC's Journalism school had a new leader, for two days, before he backed out of the job.
- Ready, set, drink! Grub Street L.A. has some ideas for where to imbibe in honor of the Kentucky Derby.
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.