This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: RIP To the Man Who Founded Wienerschnitzel
- See where Victorian fashion was the height of style this weekend.
- Mashable profiles the Twittering crimefighter behind Venice311.
- A Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy is accused of beating a 19-year-old inmate in the back of a patrol car.
- The founder of SoCal-based fast food hot dog chain Wienerschnitzel, John Galardi, died this weekendof pancreatic cancer.
- Good news for motorists: Gas prices in the region are on the decline.
- Parts of Joshua Tree National Park have been shut down thanks to a recent problem with graffiti.
- TMZ reports Christina Aguilera and Charlie Sheen are new neighbors.
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.