This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: When FDR Pitched in at the Oscars
- Think First Lady Michelle Obama's Oscar appearance was cool? Listen to FDR at the 1941 Academy Awards.
- San Diego is getting its own "Ciclavia"-inspired event in August.
- Looks like wealthy widow Candy Spelling is being evicted from her post condo.
- In Burbank, a paraplegic man was injured when he was struck by a car as he crossed the street.
- Yikes: A former Cudahy City Councilman gets jail time for extortion and bribery.
- Geek Out! Here is Los Angeles’ transportation history in an interactive timeline & chart!
- If you're wondering what's become of Mike Damone from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," the answer is, he's running a coffee spot in NoHo now.
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).