This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Kobe's Mask for Sale, Mapping the Riots, & a Goat Who Still Needs a Home
- The anniversary of the start of the 1992 L.A. Riots has passed, but the tensions unfolded over several days at the time. Today, KCET Departures has "Mapping the L.A. Riots & More."
- Burbank has a new mayor.
- Speaking of Burbank, we're loving the story about a middle school there where the students cook their lunches uses veggies grown in their campus garden. More of that, please! (Ahem, you listening, LAUSD?)
- Animal adoption update: Pebbles the goat is still looking for her forever home!
- A student at John Muir High School in Pasadena brought a fake gun to school, and the campus was on lockdown for a couple of hours this morning.
- Kobe Bryant is auctioning off the mask he wore during a game for charity.
- For those who are so inclined: XIV is making a comeback, LA!
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.