This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Bryan Stow's Role in His Beating, Chaz Bono's Documentary and the Madoffs' Suicide Attempt
- The Dodgers' attorney said Bryan Stow could share some blame for the vicious opening day beating that hospitalized him. (UPDATED: We wrote a full post on this story here.)
- Chaz Bono is no longer on "Dancing with the Stars" but he hasn't left the spotlight: there will be a follow-up to his documentary "Becoming Chaz."
- Ruth Madoff said that she and her husband Bernie attempted suicide in 2008.
- Medical marijuana advocates are suing over the most recent crackdown.
- There's a new app that offers beach quality reports.
- The most-Googled costumes for Halloween.
- H&M has a new line inspired by "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."
- California's elementary schools barely teach science.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.