This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Naked Sushi Bar, a Boring Plant, and The Most Overrated Bands
- Sorry, but cross burning isn't covered under "free speech," rules judge in SLO County.
- A "naked sushi bar" coming to DTLA is trying a little too hard to stir up controversy about itself.
- Firefighters rescued two dogs from a burning home in Van Nuys.
- KCET's The Back Forty introduces us to "The Most Astonishing Boring Plant in the Mojave."
- The Occupy movement has come to UCLA.
- Speaking of Occupy, the LAPD wants to shut down the @OccupyLAPD Twitter account.
- A woman who died after suffering extensive burns was allegedly set on fire by her ex-boyfriend.
- You're dying to know: Did Coldplay make the OC Register's "most overrated bands" list?
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.