This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Downtown-based The Brutique's Victor Wilde accidentally designed a jacket that can conceal a switchblade.
- Burbank residents have been told to be on the lookout after a mountain lion was spotted on the prowl between parked cars in a residential area.
- L.A.'s infrastructure is aging, and--guess what?--we can't afford to fix it.
- School news: 450 LAUSD teachers have been re-hired, yay! Some LAUSD schools went into session for the new school year, boo!
- Headline of the day, courtesy CBS2: "Giant Chicken Made Of Traffic Cones To Roost At LA Cone Company."
- Local skaters are loving a recently-renovated skatepark in Lake Forest.
- To save you the trouble of having to eat it yourself, Huffington Post Food takes readers on a tour of Denny's Tour of America menu. Mmmm!
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.