This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Another day, another school lockdown. This one at a Hemet elementary school.
- Another day, another 17-year-old with a gun at an L.A. school. This one in Compton.
- Non-gun news: that Echo Park craftsman finally got moved.
- The "Shutter Island" meat thermometer stabber (that's right) gets 40 years in prison.
- Survey says: we have illegal texting tendencies.
- Pot dispensaries "boldly reopen" so city council votes to halt your mellow progress.
- Last Hired, First Fired goes bye-bye at LAUSD.
- Remember the too-loud restaurant discussion? Seems Mas Malo is loudest of all.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.