This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Pacific Palisades, meet your next honorary Mayor, boxer Sugar Ray Leonard. Current honorary Mayor Gavin MacLeod sails out of the role in June.
- Firth fans, a second dose of the Brit actor today: KCRW's Matt Holzman is hosting a live chat tonight with Firth, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce and "King's Speech" Director Tom Hooper at 9:45, and they're inviting people to submit questions for consideration.
- The workers of a boutique hotel in Downtown across from LA Live held a one-day strike to protest unfair workloads today.
- Cyclist advocates will speak tomorrow during public comment at a hearing, and will argue for the inclusion of bike and pedestrian paths in the Desmond bridge renovation project.
- Actress Jane Lynch speaks out about why she thinks studios won't cast gay actors.
- Major US moving van companies say more people are packing up and heading to California.
- Ailing songstress and Riverside resident Etta James' fiances could be handed over to her husband's control.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.