This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Updates from the Gabrielle Giffords press conference: 19 victims in total, all shot by a semiautomatic pistol, a person of interest is also sought, suspect in custody (reported earlier by CNN as Jared Lee Loughner) went unnamed but was said to be "unstable" with a troubled past, Giffords was the intended target.
- Local politicians comment on the attempted assassination of Gabrielle Giffords.
- AEG, Farmers Insurance close to naming-rights deal for downtown NFL stadium.
- Melissa tells Joan to curb the plastic.
- One killed, one injured, ten displaced in Koreatown/Westlake District fire.
- Justin Bieber will be Gleeking out in the near future.
- Glendale issues new traffic / pedestrian warnings in English, Spanish & Armenian.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.