LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Public funeral services will be held Monday for state Sen. Jenny Oropeza, who died last week at age 53 after a long illness.
- Late last night an SUV knocked down a tree onto the 101 Hollywood Freeway near Universal Studios, causing accidents and a major traffic jam. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured.
- Authorities in Hawthorne are investigating the double murder of a couple whose bodies were found in their home during a welfare check.
- A former hooker has been sentenced to death for her role in a pair of murders the judge called "particularly cruel."
- For those who thought there was no danger in some good ol' fashioned fun: "Teen run over by trailer at hay ride."
- A small group of lay laborers held a rally yesterday in Costa Mesa to draw attention to the issue of police brutality.
- Slate gets serious about former MTV "The Hills" star Lauren Conrad's career as a scribe.