The Oscars so Far
If you've only seen one of the nominated movies, haven't voted in any pools and are really only tuning in to the Oscars to see Jon Stewart, the, highlights of the evening are not so much the awards as any funny or memorable moments in the ceremony.
- Stewart turned his trademark self-deprecation into a funny opening film that poked fun at all the rumors that he was far down on the list of hosting choices and also featured cameos by all the recent hosts: Billy Crystal, Chris Rock, Steve Martin (and his imaginary "children" in white wigs), David Letterman, and Whoopi Goldberg.
- Because Oscar fixture Tom Hanks usually wins for his most earnest movies, it was nice to see him goofing around in a short sketch that mocked long award speeches, reminding us that Hanks always has amazing comic timing, even with mediocre material.
- Dolly Parton rules.
- Ben Stiller prancing around in a green catsuit and announcing that he was "blowing Spielberg's mind" was not all that funny. Spielberg mouthing, "You're really not" kinda was.
- Did the sign say "Will Farrell and Steve Carrell?" Cute, but it's Ferrell. Oh, and Carell. Apparently there is a Will Farrell, but he is a professional bull rider. Add your own Brokeback Mountain joke!
- The Best Actress nominees had no idea what to make of the mock "campaign ads" supposedly in their names.
-All the self-congratulation on this year's message movies is getting really tedious. At least Stewart had the sense just now to joke, "And all of those issues were never a problem again."
printable ballot from Oscar.com