Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts & Entertainment

Local Film Production Is Still Up And Neighbors Are 'Very, Very Angry'

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.


Tinseltown professionals may be thrilled that filming is finally up in L.A., but the neighbors aren't quite so pleased.An updated state tax credit incentive program that went into effect last summer has led to a surge in L.A. film production, and NBC reports that there has been a corresponding spike in complaints from residents pissed off about the film crews invading their once quiet streets.

The station analyzed data from Film LA—the nonprofit responsible for supervising production and coordinating permits, as well as handling neighborhood complaints—and found a total of 2929 complaints were filed in 2015. Many residents were angry about the frequency of filming, the late hours, notification concerns, loss of business and traffic congestion. There were also over a hundred complaints filed in regards to both safety concerns and poor crew conduct, respectively.

The spike in complaints was first noted back in November 2015, when Film L.A. released their complaint totals for the 2015 fiscal year (which begins October 1) which showed a 20 percent increase in complaints filed compared to 2013.

A former entertainment industry professional who also happens to own a home on a particularly photogenic Encino street told NBC that he although he supports the revival of hometown filming, he wishes it wasn't happening so often outside his home: "We recently had three shoots in three weeks!" Marc Gerber said. "It's not a house, it's a soundstage for rent."

L.A. City Council District 5, which includes Encino, along with Bel Air and much of the Westside, housed 364 complaints, but the dubious honor of most-complained-from district goes to District 4, which generated nearly 500 complaints. And yes, District 4 includes Hollywood (along with the Hollywood Hills, Larchmont Village, Windsor Square, Miracle Mile, Toluca Lake, Sherman Oaks, Los Feliz, Silver Lake, and Hancock Park).

Residents of L.A.'s tony Hancock Park neighborhood are so pissed about the frequent filming that their homeowner's association has its very own "film liaison."

"Some people are very, very angry," she told NBC. The only thing scarier than an angry homeowner's association is an organized angry homeowner's association.

Sponsored message

Some people are also very, very happy. "From the downtown Los Angeles Arts District to Long Beach, film production is booming and the large and small businesses that benefit from the industry are feeling the benefits, providing hundreds of thousands of jobs, directly and indirectly," Supervisor Don Knabe said in a press release earlier this year.

Or, as one of our friends in the industry told us, "You just can't imagine the luxury one now feels, to roll out of your own bed and go to work instead of living in a hotel in some far away rebate city."

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today