Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts and Entertainment

Robert Wagner Refuses To Speak To Authorities About Natalie Wood's Death

Actor Robert Wagner at the TCM Classic Film Festival held on April 12, 2012. (RoidRanger /
Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

There's been one person who has refused to talk to authorities since an investigation was opened into Natalie Wood's death just off the coast of Catalina Island more than 30 years ago: her husband at the time Robert Wagner.

The original investigation determined that Wood's drowning on November 29, 1981 was accidental, but the case was reopened last year. A recent coroner's report changed her cause of death from its original "accidental drowning" to "drowning and other undetermined factors." The new report says marks on Wood's body suggest she was assaulted before she drowned.

But still the 82-year-old Wagner does not want to speak to authorities about what happened on that night three decades ago, The Los Angeles Times reports. Authorities said they've spoken to everyone else who was on the boat that night, including actor Christopher Walken and the captain Dennis Davern.

Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. John Corina told the Times, "We reached out through his attorney and got rebuffed. We went to his home and he refused to talk us, and we sent him a letter, so I say it is fair to say he has declined to be interviewed, repeatedly."

Support for LAist comes from

Wagner cooperated with authorities during the original investigation, but authorities note than both Wagner's story and Davern's have changed over the years.

Wagner's attorney, Blair Berk, said in a statement that his client has been cooperative with authorities but he had nothing new to add: "After 30 years, neither Mr. Wagner nor his daughters have any new information to add to this latest investigation, which was unfortunately prompted by those seeking to exploit and sensationalize the 30th anniversary of the death of his wife and their mother."

An anonymous source close to the family told Fox News that reopening the case has been painful for those who were close to Wood: "It is all very sad and painful for them to have to relive this again more than 31 years since Natalie’s death. I think most families just wish it could be let go so everyone could really move on."

New Evidence Uncovered in Natalie Wood Death Probe
Natalie Wood's 1981 Drowning Case Re-Opened