LAist Staff Picks 2009: Music
This list is in no particular order. I know that it's numbered, but that is only so I could keep track of my thoughts. It is in no way reflective of importance. They are all equal in my eyes. Each one of these albums have deserved a spot because I deeply and truly love them and more miraculously am still not sick of them. Hopefully, you all will enjoy them as much because that's what lists are all about. I mean, it's partially to recognize achievement, but mostly it's to introduce people to much that they may have missed. In the spirit of that, I've included a tune with each album, so you can check them out. Enjoy!
1. Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
"Fitz & Dizzyspells"
2. Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Pains of Being Pure At Heart
"Everything With You"
3. Big Pink - A Brief History of Love
4. Metric - Fantasies
"Gold Guns Girls"
5. The Heavy - The House That Dirt Built
"How You Like Me Now?"
6. The Love Language - The Love Language
7. Crocodiles - Summer of Hate
"I Wanna Kill"
8. Harlem Shakes - Technicolor Health
9. Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes
10. Low Anthem - Oh My God, Charlie Darwin
11. Silversun Pickups - Swoon
12. Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears - Tell 'Em What Your Name Is!
13. Black Lips - 200 Million Thousand
14. The Builders and the Butchers - Salvation Is A Deep Dark Well
"Hands Like Roots"
15. Frankel - Anonymity Is The New Fame
"Anonymity Is The New Fame"
16. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus
17. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
"Heads Will Roll"
18. The Voyeurs - A Well Known Drag
"Things People Say"
19. Elvis Perkins in Dearland - Elvis Perkins in Dearland
20. Old Canes - Feral Harmonic
"Little Bird Courage"
21. La Roux - La Roux
22. Sin Fang Bous - Clangour
"Advent In St. Ives"
23. The Generationals - Con Law
"Nobody Could Change Your Mind"
24. White Rabbits - It's Frightening
25. Fanfarlo - Reservoir
Now also this year there were a number of EPs and singles that were released by new bands that I listened to on repeat. I think it's unfair to discount them just because these artists didn't have a full album, so in the name of fairness I present:
Molly's Top 10 New Faces to Look For in 2010 (in no particular order):
Joe Pug - "I Do My Father's Drugs"
Lissie - "Little Lovin'"
Local Natives - "World News"
Avi Buffalo - "What's In It For?"
Surfer Blood - "Swim (To Reach The End)"
Magic Kids - "Hey Boy"
Toro Y Moi - "Blessa"
The Anasazis - "The Talk"
Little Fish - "Darling Dear"
Navajo Bixby - "Moonlighting"
Seven Saturdays "Secret Things" (Full disclosure: I manage this band and therefore am totally biased. Apologies.)