Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

Arts and Entertainment

Officials Point Fingers At Each Other Over Kardashian Fireworks Show

mdr-firework.jpg
Fireworks in Marina del Rey at midnight (Screengrab via Stephanie Kwong)
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Marina del Rey residents were angry after they got a surprise midnight fireworks show this week organized by a member of Kardashian Klan. One of the biggest questions on everyone's mind is, "Who let these guys put on such a thunderous show without a warning to the residents?"

That question is a tough one to answer because it looks like everyone is pointing fingers at each other, but now L.A. County Supervisor Don Knabe plans on presenting a motion on Tuesday to open up an investigation into the eight-minute fireworks show, the L.A. Times reports.

Councilman Mike Bonin has also been upset about the whole situation. He wrote on Facebook today:

I want to commend County Supervisor Don Knabe for stepping up and calling for both an investigation into the crazy, disruptive midnight fireworks show that woke up the coast this week, AND for taking steps to make sure it never happens again.
Support for LAist comes from

Knabe has been getting calls from angry residents complaining about the fireworks show Khloe Kardashian organized during a yacht party she held for her NBA basketball player boyfriend, James Harden, in the wee hours of Wednesday morning. Knabe's spokeswoman, Cheryl Burnett, told the Times: "It’s not clear who approved or didn’t approve what, but the finger-pointing doesn’t matter. Where is the common sense in a midnight fireworks display when normal people have to get up early for work or families have to get kids ready for school?"

U.S. Coast Guard Senior Chief Brenda Doris told LAist earlier this week that while they were notified of the event, their job was to inspect it purely from a safety perspective. The L.A. County Fire Department performed the safety check on the Kardashian boat, and it checked out, meeting all the safety criteria for a fireworks show. Coast Guard spokeswoman Andrea Anderson told LA Weekly that the fireworks show didn't require an actual marine permit because there weren't multiple boats involved. Also, a permit wasn't required because the event would take place in the open waters about a mile away from the harbor, the Coast Guard told the Times.

The Coast Guard is not in charge of the time or date of these events, or if there are any noise violations—that's the L.A. County Sheriff's Department and Los Angeles County Beaches and Harbors' job. But that's where things get tricky. Since the fireworks were launched on a vessel about 100 feet outside of the Marina del Rey harbor, it's out of their jurisdiction, the department said in a release.

The L.A. County Fire Department said in a statement that they are "working on a fireworks permit corrective action plan," one that would make guidelines that would take into account the "time of day and appropriate community outreach."