ICYMI: Meet Your Newest Los Angeles Dodger, Andrew Toles
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Here is a wonderful profile of L.A. art world maven Elyse Grinstein, who passed away this week at age 87. Elyse and her husband Stanley hosted "raucous affairs", entertaining the likes of "Andy Warhol, Frank Stella, Ed Ruscha, Richard Serra, Mick Jagger, Robert Rauschenberg, Ed Moses, Philip Glass." Your parties suck.
- L.A. Weekly asks if it makes sense to refill the Silver Lake Reservoir with actual water, which we're, you know, kind of short on at the moment.
- There's a new Los Angeles Dodger in town. The L.A. Times describes center fielder Andrew Toles alliteratively as "talented but troubled," but honestly who cares about his past: he got a hit in his first major league at bat and has a fantastic beard. Welcome to Los Angeles, Andrew. Now if only they would bring up Triple A catcher Jack Murphy, possessor of a fine, fine mustache.
- Meet some moms who are very into medical marijuana advocacy.
- The Watergate Hotel is back, and sexier than ever!
- Watch for the fire in this even better time lapse of L.A.'s Fourth Of July Fireworks than what we posted earlier in the week.
- NIMBYs are suing a skyscraper proposed to be built next to the Expo Line. It is really tall.
- These are supposed to be the best L.A. based fashion Instagrams. See if they're worth following!
- And finally, here's a Whitesnake video because I said so: