Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts & Entertainment

Dr. Conrad Murray Is a Free Man, Goes to In-N-Out

conradmurray_getty.jpg
Dr. Conrad Murray closes his eyes after he was sentenced for the involuntary manslaughter of singer Michael Jackson at the Los Angeles Superior Court on November 29, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Mario Anzuoni-Pool/Getty Images)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

At 12:01 a.m., Dr. Conrad Murray became a free man after serving a maximum four-year sentence for involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson.

Murray was sentenced in November 2011 for being the person to inject the fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol into the 50-year old Jackson. Murray maintained his innocence saying that Jackson injected the fatal dose himself, however prosecutors said that propofol should only be injected in a hospital setting.

This was also at the heart of the Jackson family's lawsuit against Anschutz Entertainment Group. A jury earlier this month cleared AEG of any liability in Jackson's death.

The L.A. Times reported that a group of diehard Jackson fans waiting outside of the jail were waiting to heckle the 60-year old Murray upon his release.

The covert release riled Jackson supporters who said Murray received undue "special treatment." Laura Sherwood, 27, said she moved from Phoenix to follow Murray's trial. She said she had hoped that Murray would show remorse.

"I just want to know why he won't admit and take responsibility for what he did," she said.

Apparently there was also a lady wearing a t-shirt that read "Thriller Killer" in red lettering.

Murray was able to elude the throng, although exactly how the L.A. County Sheriff's Department won't say. All spokesman Steve Whitmore told reporters was that he was released to his representatives, the Times reported.

Now, if you were to get out of jail after about two years, where is your first stop? Of course it's In-N-Out! And, of course, TMZ has the photos of Murray enjoying the grub.

Sponsored message

No word on what Murray will do now especially since he had his medical license revoked.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today