Sponsor
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Photos: Elliot Rodger's Dad Embraces Victim's Father Over Common Ground

With our free press under threat and federal funding for public media gone, your support matters more than ever. Help keep the LAist newsroom strong, become a monthly member or increase your support today.


Peter Rodger, the father of Santa Barbara mass murderer Elliot Rodger, and the father of one of the victims embraced in a show of solidarity. Richard Martinez' only son, Christopher Michaels-Martinez, was killed while shopping at a deli when Rodger opened fire on the shop. He was 20 years old.

Martinez has been vocal with the press, telling the L.A.Times, "The talk about gun rights? What about Chris’ right to live? When will enough people say: 'Stop this madness! We don’t have to live like this! Too many people have died!'"

He said then he'd like to meet up with Peter Rodger to talk about preventing future incidents. The two finally met up on June 1. Photos taken by Rodger family friend Simon Astaire show the pair embracing were recently released.

Martinez told the NY Daily News, "I have met Peter Rodger, and we plan to work together so that other families such as ours will not have to suffer such as we have. This was a private conversation between grieving fathers who have reached common ground."Elliot Rodger's rampage was not without warning signs.

Sponsor

Peter Rodger and Elliot’s mother, Chin Rodger, had alerted police about disturbing content their son had been posting online back in April. However, the officers who checked up on him found him "polite," but failed to find his supply of weapons—something Elliot Rodger wrote about in his disturbing 140-page manifesto. On the day of the shooting, his parents rushed to Isla Vista, fearing the worst after receiving a message regarding more alarming content Elliot had posted online.

Rodger's manifesto contained several disconcerting stories of increasing malice towards women he felt were ignoring him and their boyfriends, including one night where he attempted to push some women off a ledge in a fit of drunken jealousy. One of the men present that night had blocked Rodger from pushing the girls, resulting in Rodger falling off the ledge himself. Later, the man, identified as Yukito Isoda, told KTLA reporters that he wished he had pushed Rodger harder.

Other warning signs included roommates that moved after finding sharing a dorm with Rodger to be uncomfortable. Rodger ended up murdering his most recent roommates prior to opening fire on the streets of Isla Vista.

At LAist, we believe in journalism without censorship and the right of a free press to speak truth to those in power. Our hard-hitting watchdog reporting on local government, climate, and the ongoing housing and homelessness crisis is trustworthy, independent and freely accessible to everyone thanks to the support of readers like you.

But the game has changed: Congress voted to eliminate funding for public media across the country. Here at LAist that means a loss of $1.7 million in our budget every year. We want to assure you that despite growing threats to free press and free speech, LAist will remain a voice you know and trust. Speaking frankly, the amount of reader support we receive will help determine how strong of a newsroom we are going forward to cover the important news in our community.

We’re asking you to stand up for independent reporting that will not be silenced. With more individuals like you supporting this public service, we can continue to provide essential coverage for Southern Californians that you can’t find anywhere else. Become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission.

Thank you for your generous support and belief in the value of independent news.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Chip in now to fund your local journalism

A row of graphics payment types: Visa, MasterCard, Apple Pay and PayPal, and  below a lock with Secure Payment text to the right