DUI Checkpoints This Labor Day Weekend (Starting Tonight!)
With Labor Day this weekend, people will be out at the beach or at a cookout (or even at Made In America) to enjoy what's left of the summer and possibly pairing that with a little drinking. Naturally that means the LAPD have set up DUI checkpoints and heightened patrols throughout the weekend in an effort to ensure the roads are as safe as possible as we celebrate the American labor movement.
While some people, including our beloved @LAScanner, may find that giving out advanced warning of DUI crackdowns is like giving out a cheat sheet to people breaking the law, studies have shown that publicizing them will actually decrease the number of drunk drivers on the road.
"People having foresight aren't the ones who are committing this crime," LAPD Chief Charlie Beck once told LAist. "People who are thinking ahead aren't the ones that this checkpoint is likely to catch. I think that the publicity surrounding these things is so important that if you give a couple of locations, that's fine."
Here's some of the DUI checkpoints and areas with saturation patrols this Labor Day weekend:
Thursday, August 28:
- saturation patrol in the Olympic Area from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.
Friday, August 29:
- DUI checkpoint at Vermont Avenue and 6th Street in the Koreatown from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- DUI checkpoint at Roscoe Boulevard and Gloria Avenue in North Hills from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- DUI checkpoint at Figueroa Street and 9th Street in downtown from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Saturday, August 30:
- DUI checkpoint at Avalon Boulevard and Opp Street in Wilmington from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- DUI checkpoint at Sunset Boulevard and Laveta Terrace in Echo Park from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- DUI checkpoint at Sherman Way and Yolanda Avenue in Reseda from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- DUI checkpoint at Olympic Boulevard and Blaine Street in Pico-Union from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Sunday, August 31:
- saturation patrol in the Harbor Area from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
As always, please don't drink and drive, and have a designated driver or call a cab if you do plan on drinking. Be safe, and have a happy Labor Day weekend.