Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Why Hasn't Stow Beating Suspect Been Charged?

This artist sketch provided by the LAPD shows the two suspects wanted in the attack on the Giants fan at Dodger Stadium. The LAPD have requested the media not run photos of suspect Ramirez (AP Photo/LAPD)
Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Charges are usually filed against suspects within 48 hours of their arrest. However, in the high-profile Dodger Stadium Bryan Stow beating case, Giovanni Ramirez, the suspect arrested Sunday morning has yet to be charged for his role in the crime, and instead remains in custody as the Los Angeles Police Department continue their investigation.

The LAPD say that their Northeast Area Detectives met with the LA County District Attorney’s Office Tuesday, and that Ramirez remains in custody in the Los Angeles County Jail on a parole hold by the California Department of Corrections, adding Ramirez will remain in custody pending the outcome of a parole revocation hearing. Ramirez allegedly falsified his address as filed with his parole officer.

Hanging up the proceedings is Ramirez's insistence he was not actually at the March 31st Dodgers game. Chip Matthews, the lawyer hired to represent Ramirez's daughter asserted yesterday his client spent the day with his daughter, and that this is a case of "mistaken identity," according to ABC7. Matthews says the 10-year-old girl is "adamant" that on the day in question she and her father were nowhere near the stadium. Added Matthews: "We have a number of family members and friends that can back up the fact that he was not at the game."

Matthews concedes that there was reasonable suspicion for arresting Ramirez, after his parole officer contact the LAPD to note that Ramirez bears a resemblance to the suspect sketch in the case. Despite the LAPD's insistence Ramirez is their prime suspect, Matthews says Ramirez is not the attacker.

Support for LAist comes from

A second suspect in the case remains at large, as well as a woman who allegedly drove the two men away from the scene.

Yesterday, the Stow family filed a lawsuit against the Dodgers, claiming that the team and its security personnel took too long to respond to the melee in the parking lot. They are not seeking specified damages, however they believe the team should pay for Stow's extensive medical care. Stow is recovering in a San Francisco hospital, though he condition remains critical.