This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Suspect Named in Deadly Valley Village Restaurant Shooting
Neres Galstyan has been named as the suspect | Photo provided by the LAPD
28-year-old Nerses Galstyan of North Hollywood has been named as the suspect in Saturday's Valley Village restaurant shooting that left four dead and two injured, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said this afternoon. On Saturday, Galstyan was apparently with the six victims inside the Hot Spot Mediterranean Restaurant and became involved in an argument before shooting them in anger.
"This comes after an extensive non-stop investigation," explained Beck.
"A great deal of physical evidence that leads to this," added Kevin McClure, the Commanding Officer of LAPD's Robbery and Homicide Division. "We served two search warrants [in North Hollywood and Glendale) this morning... We truly believe he's still in the area." McClure believes family or friends may be aiding Galstyan.
The announcement came at a press conference that also included U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte, the ATF, FBI and Secret Service. Via a separate investigation, a federal grand jury this morning indicted Galstyan on weapons violations. Galstyan was charged with conspiracy for engaging in the business of dealing in firearms without a license and possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number, specifically two Spike’s Tactical .223 caliber semi-automatic rifles.
Police need the public's help, but they also wanted to ensure residents and visitors that there was no need to avoid eating out. "No one in North Hollywood should be fearful. This was not a random act, this involved people who knew each other," said Councilmember Paul Krekorian.
Previously on LAist
- Restaurant Shooting that Left 4 Dead May be Connected to a 2007 Murder
- Witness Accounts Conflict in Restaurant Shooting that Left 4 Dead
- Victims in Restaurant Shooting Were Eating after a Funeral
- Police Believe Victims Were Targeted in Deadly Valley Restaurant Shooting
- 4 Dead in Valley Village Restaurant Shooting