Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Missing Sex Offender Surrenders on Live TV to KTLA Reporter

LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Finally, some actual breaking news! One of a pair of missing sex offenders who had removed his GPS monitoring ankle bracelet turned himself in on live television earlier this morning.

46-year-old Valentino Rodriguez had been released from custody October 4th, and outfitted with the monitor. However, he fell off the grid in South L.A. on Monday evening, and the parolee "said he was suicidal and disoriented and had cut off his monitoring ankle bracelet with scissors, after which he had wandered the streets for three days," notes LA Now of the bizarre episode.

During a live broadcast from East L.A., KTLA's Eric Spillman encountered Rodriguez, who said he wanted "to do the appropriate thing," and "man up about it," and turn himself over, following the call of the Lord and heeding a wish not to "go to Hell." "We're going to hang out here and see what happens," said Spillman. Soon after, the authorities arrived to take Rodriguez into custody.