Support for LAist comes from
Made of L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Lawsuit Claims Red Line Stabbing Death was 'reasonably forseeable' to MTA

Photo by Gary Rides Bikes via the LAist Featured Photos pool
Support your source for local news!
The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

As announced Wednesday, the mother of the victim of a fatal stabbing aboard a Red Line train has filed a claim against the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), asserting there is inadequate security on the subway and in stations.

Janie Garay, through an attorney, claims that the MTA is charged with doing all they can to protect their passengers against harm, and that in the death of her son, Jesse, the MTA failed in their duty. Garay says that the MTA contributed to her son's death because they "failed to exercise a reasonable degree of skill," including not having enough security personnel, not properly monitoring surveillance cameras, overloading passenger trains, and not having an appropriate emergency procedure for an incident like one that took the life of her son.

Jesse Garay was stabbed following a dispute with a fellow passenger aboard a northbound Red Line train headed towards the Hollywood and Vine stop. His assailant was able to flee the station on foot, and allegedly sought the aid of fellow passengers, who helped him change out of his blood-stained shirt.

That assailant, identified as 33-year-old transient Gene Sim, was arrested a few days later in Buena Park.

Support for LAist comes from

Janie Garay is seeking damages for the "funeral and burial expenses; loss of services; loss of comfort, care, guidance, advice and companionship; pain and suffering and grief; loss of goods decendant would have provided." According to the claim, the death of Jesse Garay was "reasonably foreseeable" by the MTA.

The following is the full text of the claim's narrative regarding the incident:

Most Read