Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Man Dies in Harbor Gateway 'Pack Rat' Fire

harborgatewayfire.jpg
Photo: digitalshay/Flickr
Before you read more...
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Although Los Angeles firefighters knocked down flames in 17 minutes at an early morning fire in Harbor Gateway, one man pronounced dead inside the home. The blaze began around 4:45 a.m. at 15925 Orchard Ave. Officials say pack rat conditions, often referred on the east coast as a Collyers' Mansion, were found inside. Back in 1999, about six people died in "pack rat" fires per year, the LA Times found. "Almost all pack rats--also known as hoarders, recyclers and clutterers--live in squalid conditions that violate Los Angeles County health and safety codes, officials say," reported the Times. "They can expose themselves and neighbors to airborne respiratory illness and diseases carried by the rodents and insects that often take refuge in pack-rat dwellings. In many cases, a pack rat's home or apartment is essentially a huge tinderbox." As for today's fire, it is unknown if the home was in code violation.