Firefighter Fighting for His Life After Ceiling Collapse in Hollywood Hills House Fire
During the battle to tame a blaze that broke out late last night at a home in the 1500 block of North Viewsite Drive, near the Sunset Plaza area of the Hollywood Hills a ceiling collapse left several LA City firefighters injured, including one veteran of the Department who is "battling for his life" today, according to LA Now.
Of those injured, one member of the multi-agency crew that responded to the fire was not breathing after the weakened ceiling collapsed, and had to be rescued by a crew who used chain saws to access the fallen man. The firefighter "was hospitalized in grave condition," said a spokesman, according to the Daily News. "He has served on the LAFD since the mid-1970s, and was about a year from retirement."
None of the injured firefighters' names have been released. All the occupants of the home were able to get out without sustaining any injuries. The residents have only been living in the home for a couple of weeks, and the fire may have originated from the fireplaces. The home is reportedly the former residence of actor Dane Cook.