Extra, Extra: Rufus Wainwright Tix, Jena 6 & The Health Care Fix
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- About the above photo by Jonathan Alcorn: "Sept 15 2007 Los Angeles, CA - A firefighter was injured in a fire that broke out tonight in a single-story commercial building in East Los Angeles and produced a plume of smoke visible throughout the Los Angeles basin, a fire official said. The fire was reported at 6:17 p.m. at 2840 E. Olympic Blvd. and extinguished after an hour and 45 minutes."
- Don't forget to enter our Rufus Wainwright contest, which ends tonight. Win a pair of tickets for his concert this Sunday night at the Hollywood Bowl!
- Interested in city wide WIFI? There are two upcoming town hall meetings where you can put your 2-cents in.
- Murrieta, CA based cyclist and 2006 Tour de France champion Floyd Landis has been found guilty of doping with testosterone by a three-member arbitration panel today.
- NPR's Morning Edition reports on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's statewide health care plan that would cover the 6.5 million Californians without insurance
- A small group of 30-50 marchers protested in support of The Jena 6 down Sunset Blvd. this morning.
- Another protest in Simi Valley over a church harboring an illegal immigrant got so big, the police responded in more than one way: they sent the church, who did not organize the protest, a $40,000 bill for police overtime costs.
- Someone won the Super Lotto at this writer's local 7-11 in Sherman Oaks. Boo!