This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Rufus Wainwright Tix, Jena 6 & The Health Care Fix
- About the above photo by Jonathan Alcorn: "Sept 15 2007 Los Angeles, CA - A firefighter was injured in a fire that broke out tonight in a single-story commercial building in East Los Angeles and produced a plume of smoke visible throughout the Los Angeles basin, a fire official said. The fire was reported at 6:17 p.m. at 2840 E. Olympic Blvd. and extinguished after an hour and 45 minutes."
- Don't forget to enter our Rufus Wainwright contest, which ends tonight. Win a pair of tickets for his concert this Sunday night at the Hollywood Bowl!
- Interested in city wide WIFI? There are two upcoming town hall meetings where you can put your 2-cents in.
- Murrieta, CA based cyclist and 2006 Tour de France champion Floyd Landis has been found guilty of doping with testosterone by a three-member arbitration panel today.
- NPR's Morning Edition reports on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's statewide health care plan that would cover the 6.5 million Californians without insurance
- A small group of 30-50 marchers protested in support of The Jena 6 down Sunset Blvd. this morning.
- Another protest in Simi Valley over a church harboring an illegal immigrant got so big, the police responded in more than one way: they sent the church, who did not organize the protest, a $40,000 bill for police overtime costs.
- Someone won the Super Lotto at this writer's local 7-11 in Sherman Oaks. Boo!
Carrie Meathrell also contributed to this report.
Photo by Sundogg via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.