Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

A Couple of Dudes Smoking Caused the Mandeville Fire

mandeville-fire-lafd.jpg
Fighting the Mandeville Fire from the air (LAFD)
Before you read more...
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Officials with the Los Angeles Fire Department have determined that the cause of this week's Mandeville fire is the cigarettes of two guys who were standing around smoking. The fire has been ruled accidental.Over 200 firefighters with the LAFD responded to the Monday afternoon blaze that broke out near the 3600 block of Mandeville Canyon Road. The fast-moving vegetation fire ultimately charred 40 acres in the Sepulveda Pass. It was 100% contained on Wednesday.

Though structures were threatened, none were damaged, and no civilians were injured. "Two adult male firefighters, one from LAFD and the other from California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation Camp Crew 16, suffered heat related injuries & were transported to a local hospital in fair to serious condition," says the LAFD.