This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
City Announces Oscar-Related Street Closures, Tow Zones
To neighborhood residents, Oscars day can mean traffic and parking hell. Today the L.A. Department of Transportation announced street closures and parking restrictions in the blocks surrounding Hollywood and Highland for this Sunday, which is posted in detail below. For closures leading up to the big day, see our earlier post.
The Los Angeles Department of Transportation will begin to strictly enforce the restricted no-parking policy for the Academy Awards on the dates and times listed below. This will include the citing and impounding of vehicles parked on these temporary restricted no-parking streets. Vehicles parked on the following streets will be towed to the Official Police Garage, Hollywood Tow located at 1015 N. Mansfield Avenue Ave. in Hollywood at the request of the Department of Transportation. Motorists are advised to call LADOT at 1-866-TOWAWAY or Hollywood Tow (323) 466-8583 to redeem their vehicles. Sunday, March 7, 2010
Tow-Away No Stopping Anytime, Sunday Only — 6:00 a.m. to Midnight
• Franklin Avenue between La Brea Avenue & Cahuenga Boulevard — Both sides
• Hollywood Boulevard between Cahuenga Boulevard & Vine Street — North side
• Hollywood Boulevard between Highland Avenue & Cahuenga Boulevard — Both sides
• Hollywood Boulevard between Highland Avenue & La Brea Avenue — Both sides
• Highland Avenue between Franklin Avenue & Sunset Boulevard — Both sides
• Hawthorn Avenue between La Brea Avenue & Highland Avenue — Both sides
• Orange Drive between Hollywood Boulevard & Sunset Boulevard — Both sides
• Sunset Boulevard between Detroit Street & Vine Street — Both sides
• Wilcox Avenue between Sunset Boulevard & Franklin Avenue — Both sides
• McCadden Place between Yucca Street & Hollywood Boulevard — Both sides
• Yucca Street between Highland Avenue & Las Palmas Avenue — Both sides
• Highland Avenue between Sunset Boulevard & Santa Monica Boulevard — East side
• Wilcox Avenue between Fountain Avenue & Sunset Boulevard — Both sides
• De Longpre Avenue between Wilcox Avenue & Cahuenga Boulevard — Both sides
• Cole Place between Cahuenga Boulevard & Fountain Avenue — Both sides
• Fountain Avenue between Wilcox Avenue & Cole Place — Both sides
Tow-Away No Stopping Anytime, Sunday Only — 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Santa Monica Boulevard between Highland Avenue & McCadden Place — North side
• Santa Monica Boulevard between Highland Avenue & Mansfield Avenue — South side
• Highland Avenue between Santa Monica Boulevard & Sunset Boulevard — East side
• Highland Avenue between Sunset Boulevard & De Longpre Avenue — East side
• Cahuenga Boulevard between Sunset Boulevard & Hollywood Boulevard — Both sides
• Cahuenga Boulevard between Hollywood Boulevard & 101 Freeway — West side
• Vine Street between 101 Southbound Freeway & Sunset Boulevard — West side
• Vine Street between Homewood Avenue & Fountain Avenue — West side
• Vine Street between Lexington Avenue & Santa Monica Boulevard — West side
• Fountain Avenue between Vine Street & Highland Avenue — North side
• La Brea Avenue between Lexington Avenue & Santa Monica Boulevard — Both sides
• La Brea Avenue between Sunset Boulevard & Franklin Avenue — Both sides
Tow-Away No Stopping Anytime — 6:00 a.m. to Midnight
• Outpost Drive between Franklin Avenue & La Pressa Drive — Both sides
• Outpost Circle between Outpost Drive & Hillside Avenue — Both sides
• El Cerrito Place between Outpost Drive & Hillside Avenue — Both side
Sunday, February 28, 2010 to Tuesday, March 9, 2010
In conjunction with the parking restrictions, drivers should also be aware of street closures that will impact travel in the Hollywood area beginning Sunday, February 28 through Tuesday, March 9.
• Hollywood Boulevard between Highland Avenue & Orange Drive
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Street Closure — beginning at 4:00 a.m.
• Hollywood Boulevard between La Brea Avenue & Cahuenga Boulevard
• Highland Avenue between Franklin Avenue & Sunset Boulevard
Additional streets will be closed Sunday, March 7, beginning at about 10 a.m., to assist with the circulation of event arrivals (see them here). Also closed on the day of the show will be the southbound Highland Avenue off-ramp from the 101 Freeway.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.