This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.
Layoffs And Changing End Dates Create Confusion Over When Census Work Will Wrap Up In LA
The U.S. Census Bureau recently moved the completion date for the 2020 Census up a month, from Oct. 31 to now Sept. 30. Bureau officials have acknowledged that in-person census work may end even earlier in easier to count regions, like San Diego. They have not said if any of Los Angeles County will be affected by these earlier end dates.
However some local census enumerators, who first began doing in-person door knocking in the county last month, have reported being laid off and being told census work is winding down.
The Census Bureau says it's made good progress locally, but news of the layoffs raises concerns for census advocates who fear an undercount. As of the second week of August, when in-person counting began, 40% of L.A. County households had yet to fill out their census forms.
READ THE FULL STORY:
Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily newsletters. To support our nonprofit public service journalism: Donate now.