Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Britain's ex-Prince Andrew is arrested on suspicion of misconduct over Epstein ties

A white man with gray hair walks next to a wrought iron fence. He's in a suit and tie.
Britain's Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025.
(
Kirsty Wigglesworth
/
AP
)

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Listen 2:41
Former Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office: reports

U.K. police arrested the former Prince Andrew on Thursday, on suspicion of "misconduct in public office." 

In a statement, King Charles III, the brother of the former prince, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, spoke of his "deepest concern" at learning of the news, and called for a "full, fair and proper process."

"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," Charles said in the statement, pledging his support and cooperation with the investigation.

On Thursday morning, police said that they arrested a man in his 60s and that he was in custody, while officers were carrying out searches at his addresses in the counties of Berkshire and Norfolk.

News photographs showed cars arriving at the royal Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, on the morning of Mountbatten-Windsor's 66th birthday.

Last week, Thames Valley Police, which serves areas west of London, said they were examining claims that the former Prince Andrew sent confidential trade reports to disgraced business mogul Jeffrey Epstein during his time as the U.K.'s envoy for international trade.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal title over his friendship with the late sex offender. He admits ties to Epstein and settled a lawsuit with one of Epstein's underage victims, but has previously strenuously denied any wrongdoing on any matters related to Epstein.

Sponsored message
More on the Epstein files

A statement released by Thames Valley police read: "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time."

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."

This is a developing story, which could be updated.
Copyright 2026 NPR

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today