This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
L.A. Tentatively Agrees To $4 Million Settlement For Fatal LAPD Shooting Of Venice Homeless Man
Attorneys for the city of Los Angeles have reached a tentative $4 million settlement with the family of Brendon Glenn, a homeless man who was shot and killed by an LAPD officer in 2015, reports the L.A. Times. The deal requires approval by the City Council."[This settlement] will bring some sense of closure to the family of Brendon Glenn. They will never get over his tragic death," attorney V. James DeSimone, who represents Glenn's mother Sheri Camprone, told LAist. "It still seems surreal to the family. Every time I speak with Sheri it's very difficult for her."
On the night of May 5, 2015, officers responded to the area around Windward and Pacific avenues in Venice after it was reported that a man was harassing patrons at bars and restaurants in the area. The 29-year-old Glenn originally walked away from the two officers who first approached him, but the police later intervened when he got into a confrontation with a bouncer at the Townhouse bar. During the struggle to take him into custody, Glenn was shot twice and later died from his injuries.
Security cameras from a nearby bar captured the shooting on video and just a day after the shooting LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said what he saw made him "very concerned." That sentiment was shared by investigators who reviewed the video as well.
According to the Times, the officer who shot Glenn, identified as Clifford Proctor, told investigators that he saw Glenn reach for his partner's holster and try to grab his gun. However, video determined that Glenn's hand was not "on or near any portion" of the holster, and Proctor's partner said he never saw Glenn's hand near his own gun.
Earlier this year, Beck recommended charges against Proctor, the first time he ever recommended charges against an officer involved in a fatal on-duty shooting. In April, the Police Commission said the shooting of Glenn was not justified. Prosecutors are still deciding whether or not to charge Proctor.
On Thursday, the district attorney's office cleared the officers involved in the fatal shooting of a homeless man on Skid Row in 2015. The case garnered widespread publicity after it was captured on video and shared on the internet.