Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Autopsy: Teens Found Dead in Vacant Apartment Died of Drug ODs

alg_four_loko.jpg
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Remember those two teens found dead inside a vacant Huntington Beach apartment in January? Found on scene was a variety of evidence indicating likely drug and alcohol use, including an empty bottle of Four Loko, the energy drink that has been banned in some states. Today the coroner has released a report indicating the teens died from drug overdoses, though alcohol played a role in one of the two's death, according to the OC Register.

15-year-old Aaron Saenz of Westminster died from a deadly combo of "methadone, doxylamine, alprazolam and hydroxyalprazolam," says the autopsy. "Methadone is a narcotic used as a pain reliever and also to help ease withdrawal symptoms from people suffering from heroin addiction. Doxylamine is a sedative used to treat insomnia. Alprazolam, better known by the brand names Xanax and Niravan, is used to treat anxiety disorder, panic attacks and depression," explains the Register.

Saenz's companion, 16-year-old Chelsea Amanda Taylor of Huntington Beach, died from a fatal mix of drugs and alcohol, with her cause of death attributed to the "combined effects of methadone, alprazolam, hydroxyalprazolam and ethanol." Taylor's blood alcohol level at death was 0.03 percent.

Though not banned in California, after reports of the discovery of Taylor and Saenz's body and their possible consumption of Four Loko, its "manufacturer Phusion Projects released a statement expressing sadness about the tragedy and concern about alcohol and drug abuse."