Celebrate California Public Radio Day!

Support LAist to keep trusted local news strong and help unlock a $20k challenge.
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

L.A. City Council Approves $2 Million Contribution To Legal Fund For Immigrants Facing Deportation

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

The Los Angeles City Council voted Friday to approve a $2 million contribution to the LA Justice Fund, which will provide legal representation to undocumented residents facing deportation. Unlike in criminal cases, defendants in deportation proceedings have no legal right to representation if they can't afford it.

On Tuesday, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted to approve their own $3 million contribution to the fund. The $10 million fund, which was proposed in December by L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti, City Attorney Mike Feuer, and other L.A. city and county leaders, will also include substantial contributions from private philanthropic groups.

"Today’s City Council vote makes possible the allocation of our $2 million share of the L.A. Justice Fund, an extraordinary public-private partnership," Garcetti said in a press release emailed to LAist following the city council vote. "But the L.A. Justice Fund is about more than dollars — it means that more Angelenos will have legal protection, more families will stay whole, and more people will be able to build lives with the people they love, in the country they chose.”

“I’d like to thank my colleagues for approving the L.A. Justice Fund and for making it a priority in our budget," Councilmember Gil Cedillo also noted in the release."The fund falls in line with the Mayor’s efforts to defend Los Angeles and the council’s commitment to defend all its residents, regardless of immigration status. At the core of our democratic system is the belief that every person has the right to due process."

There has been a contentious debate over whether or not the fund will have "carve-outs" that bar individuals with certain types of criminal records from accessing representation. Despite campaigns from immigrant rights groups arguing for universal access, the County voted to bar individuals with what the California Penal Code defines as “violent felonies" from accessing their $3 million contribution. The City opted for a compromise of sorts: carve-outs remain, but exceptions will be made in cases where the Defense Fund's lawyer deems that the individual has a "meritorious claim" with "justifiable extenuating circumstances."

“This carve-out reinforces the inequities that are already part of the criminal justice and immigration systems,” Andrés Kwon of the ACLU of Southern California previously told LAist.

Sponsored message

Los Angeles now joins New York City, San Francisco, and other jurisdictions in providing legal aid to undocumented immigrants facing deportation.County Votes to Fund Legal Defense for Immigrants Fighting Deportation... On One Condition

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today