Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Angels Flight Investigation: Tree Branch Was Used To Help Drive Train

angels-flight.jpg
(Photo by indigoMood via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

What caused the historic Angels Flight railway to derail in September? That's still not known, but the fact that operators were using a tree branch to override the safety system can't have helped.

The L.A. Times reports that the downtown L.A. landmark, which was originally built in 1901, had been experience "unintended stops for months," the National Transportation Safety Board said in a report released Thursday.

Because of those stops, operators had broken off a branch from a nearby tree and were using it to make sure the start button stayed pushed. Senior Angels Flight management officials were aware of the unorthodox workaround, operators told investigators.

On Sept. 5, the car named Sinai derailed near the middle of the track as it was headed to the bottom. According to the report, it was a bystander who finally called the Fire Department to report the accident after railway operators failed to seek assistance.

The second car, which was headed to the top, also stalled and passengers had to be evacuated onto the railway. Fortunately, no one was injured.

The report also suggested developing evacuation routes after one passenger in the derailed car was seen on video crawling onto the tracks, which are 25 feet above the ground, because there are no walkways or railing in case of emergencies.

The cause of the accident still has not been determined, the NTSB said.

Sponsored message

The railway was shut down before after a fatality in 2001 that killed an 83-year-old passenger and injured 7 others when one of the cars crashed into the second one. It was reopened in 2010 with improved safety features.

The final decision about when Angels Flight will re-open rests with the California Public Utilities Commission, the Times reports.

Related:
Angels Flight Could Be Closed 6 to 9 Months Following Derailment
Photo: Angels Flight Derails, No Injuries

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today